10/04/2009

Brewers 5 @Cardinals 4

Boxscore

Braun reaches 200 hits in victory
Never one to lack for confidence, Ryan Braun admitted he surprised himself with his intensity over the past week in pushing to compile 200 hits in a season.

"I don't think I've ever been able to have this level of focus as far as trying to achieve one singular goal or singular event," said the Milwaukee Brewers' all-star leftfielder.

"I think my level of concentration and focus on every at-bat is probably more intense than I've ever been able to do before. I'd like to be able to channel that emotion and that feeling. I've been able to focus and concentrate on being locked in on doing nothing but centering the ball up the last two weeks, and knowing I had to do that to get to this point."

Braun eliminated the suspense early Saturday, reaching 200 hits in grand style with a two-run homer in the first inning off St. Louis veteran Kyle Lohse to help the Brewers take a 5-4 victory over the mistake-prone Cardinals.

Braun later added an infield hit to finish the day with 201 hits, which tops the National League. One week earlier, Braun was sitting on 186 hits and wondering if it would be possible to get to 200 by season's end.
Oh, it was.
Braun...collect[ed] 15 hits over a seven-game period, batting .455 in the process. After pounding his coveted 30th homer in the first of those seven games, Braun concentrated on getting base hits, taking an opposite-field approach.
Sunday*
MIL: Jeff Suppan
STL: Joel Pineiro
1:15pm CDT
*Final Game of the Season for Milwaukee

No comments:

Site Meter