10/19/2009

Lesson learned

The story or Phillippe and the locker gets a little more play.
The first full season right-hander Phillippe Aumont spent as a relief pitcher taught him all about the thrill of getting the final out of a game -- and even more about the pain caused by taking a blown save too seriously.

Like don't take out your frustrations by punching a metal locker.

The Mariners' strong-armed prospect, who worked a perfect inning of relief in his first outing with the Arizona Fall League Peoria Javelinas, said he has moved past the midseason incident. But he flashed a sheepish grin recently when asked about the freakish injury he sustained following a game with Double-A West Tennessee.

He explained that his emotions began to simmer two days earlier when he was unable to protect a lead.

"That was tough to take," Aumont said. "You're competitive and you don't want to get beat, but I moved on from that one."

Moving on from the second consecutive blown save was not as easy.

"I lost my mind. I lost it completely," Aumont said with a half-smile. "I barely remember anything because I just completely lost it. When something gets you real bad, and you have a hard time controlling yourself, that's what happened. I just started hitting my locker with my left hand. I didn't feel it at the time because the adrenaline was just pumping so much.

"I calmed down, started getting undressed, and didn't feel anything at the time."

Luckily, it was Aumont's non-pitching hand and he didn't think much about it, but when he woke up the next day and noticed his left hand was considerably larger than his right, he could only hope that it was nothing serious.
That is not the only focus of the story. It's more of a jumping off point.
The former first-round Draft choice (11th selection overall in 2007) is back on track and hopes to use the Arizona Fall League as a springboard to the Mariners' bullpen next season.

"I have this great opportunity here," he said. "I know there are a lot of front-office people from the Mariners coming down to watch, and even if they aren't here, they are going to hear about it. I will do my best to show them I can compete at a higher level."

Aumont posted a 3.24 ERA with 12 saves in 29 appearances for Class A High Desert this past season before being promoted to West Tennessee in mid-July. He went 1-4 with a 5.09 ERA and four saves in 15 relief appearances, striking out 24 batters in 17 2/3 innings.

Despite not having pitched at the Triple-A level, a solid six weeks in the AFL could catapult Aumont into the Seattle bullpen picture when Spring Training opens in mid-February.

The Mariners have a surplus of potential starters, and although most of the relievers -- including right-handed closer David Aardsma -- return next season, the probable loss of right-hander Miguel Batista to free agency could create an opening.

"Next year is a big year for me," Aumont said.

No comments:

Site Meter