10/09/2009

Vin is the man

I will admit to you that -- as a youngster -- I was a bit of a announcing heretic. Vin Scully drove me crazy. I couldn't stand him. There was always something, I don't know...too perfect about his calls.

I have come around on him though. The man is in the hall of fame and has been the voice of the Dodgers for 60 years...make that 60 Freaking Years...for a reason.

Here are the last 15 minutes of the game between the Dodgers and Cardinals from last night. It's Scully's radio call synched up with the TBS video.

Transcribing from just before the two minute mark.

Line drive to left...Coming up in hurry to grab it..and drop it is Holliday. Loney goes into second base...Oh, what a big break...(cheers)...(cheers)...(cheers)...Matt Holliday had the game over...and somehow...missed the ball with his glove. It hit him right in the groin...hopefully, he's wearing a cup...and it landed in front of him...You talk about a PAINful ERRor for Matt Holiday.

That is some Hall of Fame announcing right there.

That is much better than a call by another young announcer I knew.

Storytime:

One time at UW-Platteville, this young announcer...not me...tried to describe a catcher taking a foul ball off a rather sensitve area. He went with: And there is a bit of a delay as the catcher takes some time to recover from taking a foul ball off his Groinicalogical area.

I don't believe he stayed in sports broadcasting.

No comments:

Site Meter