2/01/2008

Grand Funk Railroad helps out

I don't know why certain songs pop into my head when they do. Grand Funk Railroad provided the soundtrack as I read this story in the Baltimore Sun.

Bedard saga to be resolved soon
The Erik Bedard trade saga is expected to be resolved soon as the Orioles and Seattle Mariners attempt to clear up issues that stalled a deal that was nearly completed earlier this week.

Reached tonight, Orioles owner Peter Angelos declined to comment, referring questions to president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail, who did not return phone calls from The Sun.

However, team officials expect the deal for the Orioles' ace, which would send young center fielder Adam Jones, reliever George Sherrill and pitching prospects Chris Tillman, Tony Butler and Kam Mickolio to Baltimore, to be resolved one way or another in the next couple of days.

What is the reason for the caution of Angleos?
Angelos, a highly successful attorney, has long been wary of approving deals without a thorough -- too thorough, his critics say -- review of a player's medical history. His apprehension might have started late in 1998 when the Orioles announced they had signed free-agent pitcher Xavier Hernandez to a two-year, $2.5 million contract. The club's news release on the signing didn't mention that the deal was pending the results of a physical.

It was discovered that Hernandez had a tear in his rotator cuff, prompting Angelos to void the contract. Hernandez filed a grievance and the Orioles paid him a $1.75 million settlement.
Want a Baltimore perspective of the players they are supposed to be receiving?
Jones likely would be the Orioles' Opening Day center fielder, and Sherrill probably would be the team's closer in 2008. The power left-hander went 2-0 with a 2.36 ERA in 73 appearances last year.

Tillman is the most promising pitching prospect in the Mariners' offer, though all three are big and have good arms. Tillman (6 feet 5, 190 pounds) is a 19-year-old right-hander who was Seattle's minor league Pitcher of the Year last season. In two minor league seasons, Tillman, a second-round pick in 2006, is 10-14 with a 4.93 in 38 appearances, including 33 starts.

Butler, 20, is a 6-7, 218-pound left-hander who went 4-7 with a 4.75 ERA in 20 games (18 starts) at Single-A Wisconsin last year. Mickolio, 23, is the biggest and perhaps the rawest of the group. The 6-9, 256-pound Montana native was dominant at Double-A last season, going 3-1 with a 1.82 ERA in 18 relief appearances. Those numbers earned him a promotion to Triple-A, where he went 3-3 with a 3.75 ERA and one save in 14 games, while striking out 28 in 24 innings.
So, on to Grand Funk Railroad

Ive been lost now, days uncounted,
And its months since Ive seen home.
Can you hear me, can you hear me,
Or am I all alone.

If you return me, to my home port,
I will kiss you mother earth.
Take me back now, take me back now,
To the port of my birth.
...
I'm getting closer to my home
I'm getting closer to my home
I'm getting closer to my home

No comments:

Site Meter