4/12/2010

What my gut tells me (4/12/10)



Thoughts after Monday's 7-4 loss to the LumberKings.

First: Boxscore
Second: Story

What my gut tells me...

After seeing some comments in reaction to my reports on Arnett's velocity in the first inning, my gut tells me that I need to stop bringing up velocity when talking about pitchers. Relax, people. Jeepers!

The sequence that got Arnett in the most trouble in the first inning was falling behind Kalian Sams 3-1. Sams, who has been known to chase off-speed and breaking pitches out of the strike zone, did not offer at a 1-1 changeup and a 2-1 changeup. On the broadcast I had a bad feeling about the 3-1 pitch, because I have seen Sams crush fastballs. That is exactly what he did in to the 3-1 pitch he got from Arnett. 4-0 Clinton in the first. I saw what they were trying to do, it was just a case of the opponent not doing what you expect him to do. My gut tells me that this gets filed away for use at a later date.

The defense today was, well, it was six errors. There were bad throws, dropped throws, and missed grounders. As good as the defense was on Sunday, it was that bad on Monday. My gut tells me that this won't happen again.

Never say, 'I've seen it all.' Because you haven't. Here is the setup: Gabriel Noriega is at first with one out and Daniel Carroll at the plate. On a 2-1 pitch, Noriega was on the move and Carroll sent a flyball to right-center. The Rattlers infielders momentarily fooled Noriega into thinking that the ball would drop in for a hit. That allowed Franklin Romero to make the catch and throw to second baseman Scooter Gennett with a chance to double Noriega off first base. However, Gennett's throw went into the stands. The umpires told Noriega to take third base. Noriega got to within about 15 feet of second base and (inexplicably) cut across the grass in front of the base and jogged on to third base without touching second. The Rattlers appealed to second and Noriega was ruled out to end the inning. There was no argument from the L-Kings. I think the last time I saw that was in a T-ball game when I was 6....so at least 75 years ago.

Lastly, my gut also tells me that you will want to be at the Post-Crescent's Sports for Lunch at The Clubhouse inside the Paper Valley Hotel tomorrow at noon. Eric Arnett is the special guest of Cory Jennerjohn and Brett Christopherson, the once and future beat writer of the Rattlers.

No comments:

Site Meter