4/30/2010

The dean of MWL Broadcasters

Jeff Johnson of the Cedar Rapids Gazette has an article about John Rodgers, the 15 year broadcaster of the Kernels.

After 15 seasons, Rodgers still loves calling the game
John Rodgers says he’s slowing down, though you have a hard time believing the longtime Cedar Rapids Kernels radio announcer.

Rodgers is a whirl of activity and energy on game night at Veterans Memorial Stadium. That includes his broadcasts, of course.

“The runner goes!” he shouts in that excitable John Rodgers tone. “There’s no throw! Safe! The runner is safe at third!”
I am lucky that I have had the chance to work with John in season, talk to him in the offseason, and call him friend over the last 11 seasons. Whenever, Cedar Rapids is in town and someone asks me how my day is going my response is: How can you have a bad day with John Rodgers in town?

He has his quirks...but...well, you've met me haven't you? His are nothing.

Jeff caught about 92 seconds of John on the air against the LumberKings.



Someone needs to get video of John at Miller Park next week.

No comments:

Site Meter