6/12/2010

Senior

Ken Griffey, Sr. is the hitting coach of the Dayton Dragons.

Corey Jennerjohn caught up with him during the rain delay yesterday.
When I pulled up a chair to chat with Ken Griffey, the longer the first-year Dayton Dragons hitting coach weaved baseball tales, the more it felt like I was sitting in the backyard sharing a cold one with my dad.

"I've been coaching young kids all my life," he said with a smile at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium on Friday.

Which is apropos, seeing as how Ken Griffey Jr. is most affectionately known as "The Kid." Griffey Sr.'s son Craig played 37 games for the Appleton Foxes in 1993, but Griffey Sr. didn't get a chance to see him play at Goodland Field.

"The only time I came to Appleton was when Alex Rodriguez was here," Griffey said. "They asked to look at Alex and tell them if he's ready to go up to AA."

The 19-year pro collected a pair of World Series rings with the "Big Red Machine" and his name is permanently etched in the Reds Hall of Fame.

Yet, the 60-year-old doesn't bring an ounce of stuffiness into the room...
Craig Griffey, 1993 Appleton Foxes.

No comments:

Site Meter