5/12/2006

Every time I think I'm out...

I get pulled back in.

The 1984 NLCS was a very painful time in my life. Being the only Cub fan in my high school was difficult for me.

Growing up, everyone loved pointing out how big a bunch of losers the Cubs were and that they would never, ever make the World Series.

1984 was different though. From Sandburg magical game against the Cardinals during the summer to Suttcliffe's run to a near perfect record in the National League, everything was going their way and by extension mine.

They clinched against the Pirates and I remember watching the game on the TV in my parents room because that was the only TV in the house that could pick up WGN's signal clearly. (Hey, it was before we had cable).

The next day I walked into school with my Cubs Win! T-shirt on and some people congratulated me. Most said that the Cubs were only setting me up. "HA! They'll show you. They'll show you all!" I thought.

Since the Cubs played a pair of afternoon games at Wrigley Field against the Padres I missed both wins because of JV football practice.

Then, I missed Game Three because of a JV football game. After the game some of my teammates went to eat at a restaurant and the bar across the street had a big picture window. We could see the game on the big screen TV, but couldn't tell the score. I walked across the street tapped on the glass and yelled, "What's the score?" The patrons pointed at the Cub hat on my head and gave me a thumbs down.

No big deal. They would clinch on Friday night and I would get to watch the whole game.

I did watch. The whole game. Ever damnable replay of Steve Garvey holding up his right arm on his way to first base after launching the game winning home run. Every. Single. Damn. One. (pardon my language)

Oh, I heard about it at junior bowling on Saturday morning and during CCD class on Sunday. They're not going to win. But, I refused to believe.

Game Five from Jack Murphy Stadium. It was a blur of early euphoria, then it was dashed suddenly on a error. A late rally denied. They had done it. They blew it. I sat on the basement stairs with a thousand mile stare. The phone rang almost immediately. "So, pretty upset right now?" asked the voice.

Walking into school on Monday was brutal. You would think that a bunch of teenagers sensing weakness would back off. Oh, wait, it is exactly the opposite. Add in a few teachers with some smart remarks and it was a very long day.

The 1984 World Series was the first World Series that I can remember not watching. I made a point to be doing something else when the Tigers were playing that other team...The one that shouldn't have been there.

Why do I bring this up today? While looking around for somethings to write about with the rain-soaked Midwest League leaving litte about which to post, I happened upon Mariner Housewife.

Yesterday's post was still at the top and in it she felt the need to bring up Game Five in her off day post at the Post-Intelligencer.

Every time I think I'm out...

No comments:

Site Meter