9/06/2006

Baseball History September 6

For the complete baseball history entry for September 6, go HERE. Today’s highlighted entry is:

1977
California acquires Dave Kingman for cash. Nine days later the Yankees will buy Kingman, making him the first player to wear four uniforms in four divisions in the same year. His 26 home runs will be the most by a player with more than two teams.

Dave Kingman was one of my favorite Cubs when I was a kid. His 1977 season was spent with the Mets, the Yankees, the Padres, and the Angels. The two things Kingman will always be remembered for are: 1.) Being the player who is currently eligible for the Hall of Fame with the most home runs who is not in the Hall of Fame. That may change in the near future. 2.) Being the cause of an unbelieveable Tommy LaSorda tirade:

On June 4, 1976, Mets slugger Dave Kingman belted three home runs and had eight RBIs in a rout of the Dodgers. After the game, Associated Press radio stringer Paul Olden found himself in the wrong place with the wrong question for L.A. skipper Tommy Lasorda. (Transcript taken from Dodgersblues.com)

Paul Olden: What's your opinion of Kingman's performance?

Tommy Lasorda: What's my opinion of Kingman's performance!? What the BLEEP do you think is my opinion of it? I think it was BLEEPING BLEEP. Put that in, I don't give a BLEEP. Opinion of his performance!!? BLEEP, he beat us with three BLEEPING home runs! What the BLEEP do you mean, "What is my opinion of his performance?" How could you ask me a question like that, "What is my opinion of his performance?" BLEEP, he hit three home runs! BLEEP. I'm BLEEPING pissed off to lose that BLEEPING game. And you ask me my opinion of his performance! BLEEP. That's a tough question to ask me, isn't it? "What is my opinion of his performance?"

No comments:

Site Meter