2/05/2008

This is why I don't bet...

First, my life is exciting enough where I don't need the rush of a blackjack table or an off-track-betting parlor, or a poker room.

Second, and I believe this has been covered elsewhere, I lose. A lot.

But, this story over at Ben's Biz Blog about another UW-Platteville grad, gives another reason why. I would make bets like this: Sure things in which there is no possible way you could lose, only you do, you know, lose. In Tim's defense though, who wouldn't have made this bet last week?
The Giants' stunning upset over the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII will be covered in great detail throughout the course of this week, and from every angle imaginable. And why not? It's a slow time of year when it comes to sports, and the scrappy fellas within our nation's spirited and ragtag press corps are just doing what it takes to get by.

I might as well join them, by reporting how the results of the "Big Game" will effect the world of Minor League Baseball:

Lowell Spinners GM Tim Bawmann will be dancing the Cha-Cha in Brooklyn this summer!

Last week, it was reported on MiLB.com that Bawmann and Brooklyn Cyclones GM Steve Cohen had engaged in a "Super Bet": if the Patriots won the Super Bowl, then Cohen would travel to Lowell (Massachusetts) to serve on the Spinners' grounds crew. If the Giants pulled off the upset, then Bawmann would visit Brooklyn in order to do the same.

Then, there was this little tag near the end:

But, that's not all! Upon making the bet last week, Bawmann got a little carried away, and extended the bet to the New York-Penn League's seven other New York teams.

No word on if Oneonta, Staten Island, Auburn, Hudson Valley, Batavia, Tri-City, and/or Jamestown took Tim up on his offer.

I'm sure there will be word in the Pioneer Alumni Magazine or at Ben's Biz Blog.

Remember today's lesson, kids. Dont' gamble...Unless you are absolutely sure you can win, or feel lucky, or have a system, or feel that you are due. Then, it's not luck. It's skill.

What time does the OTB open? I can pick up a Daily Racing Form and have some cash down on an exacta at Aqueduct in...nevermind. The OTB is closed on Tuesdays. The blogging will continue in a moment.

I'm going to play some on-line poker. That's not real money anyway.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Chris, From the "other" UWP grad...Brooklyn actually challenged me. I didn't dream up the bet. I couldn't believe they didn't even want the points. Only Staten Island took me up on the NY challenge, thank goodness. Truth is #1) I love to work on the field #2) Who wouldn't want a trip to NYC for some sight seeing (you should see the view from the Staten Island ballpark) #3) I'm still a die hard Bears fan (remember when they trained in Platteville?) and #4) It sure beats losing a bet and having to report to Davenport, Iowa (and I can say that having grown up in adjacent RI). There are now views of the Statue of Liberty among the corn-stalks there.

Site Meter