10/05/2008

Comprehensive

Chad over at BaseBall in FortWayne put together a post that lists just about every story and blog post on the new name of the team in FortWayne....

TinCaps Stories and Headlines

There are a few in that you may have seen already, but there are a lot that I missed. So, head over there and click the links.

Also, Chad has this post:

Wizards to TinCaps - My Take

It starts out with him finding out about the name well ahead of the official announcement:
My initial reaction was that of utter disgust. I sincerely hoped I was being played for a fool.

To explain why, allow me to backtrack just a bit. When the team naming contest was announced, my first thought was that of fear and aprehension. I mean, this is my local team. This is the team I talk to people about. People who live in the area and people who do not. I really wanted a name I could talk about without concern for corniness.

My second thought - and I am not making this up - was “Dear God, please don’t let it be assocated with Johnny Appleseed.” No disrespect to Mr. Chapman and his legacy, but it doesn’t exactly spell progress and new eras. Not only that, I knew I would have to explain the signifigance to people any time I said the team name.
Now that it is official:
Again, my reaction was that of disappointment. I really had hoped it would be something other than the TinCaps. But the logo and branding softened the blow. To be honest, I like the logo and I’m excited to see the logos on the uniforms.

But beyond that, I’m excited to sit in Parkview Field at Harrison Square on Opening Day. I’ll enjoy several selections of food on the new menu that was previously unavailable at Memorial Stadium. I’m looking forward to finding the best sections of seating (and there will be many) to view the games.
...
have no doubt that the Fort Wayne Wizards thought about their options long and hard (contrary to the OPINIONS of many others). I have no doubt they have made a decision that is in good interest and perhaps even with the best of intentions. No matter what name they selected, there would be naysayers.
To understand what Chad is talking about here, you need to click on this link: Team Name Reactions from 16 Years Ago. It takes you to a post at What's Going on Down (town) that reproduces letters to the editors from when the name Wizards was first announced. A quick sample.
I can’t believe this happened to Fort Wayne. Does this mean that the Summit City now becomes the Land of Oz? And does it mean that Dorothy and Toto will be the team’s mascots? And does it mean that on lady’s nights at the ballpark a winning number on your scorecard could win one lucky lady a pair of red, ruby, glass slippers? And in playing the Star Spangled Banner, will we sing, “There’s no place like home”?

Concession workers who sell alcoholic beverages will be attired as the tin man. Those selling pop will be dressed like a lion, and popcorn sellers will be dressed as a scarecrow. And before the game is over, another lucky scorecard number will award a trip for two to Kansas. How about a yellow brick road around the bases?
Um, no. No on all counts
No one I’ve spoken to cares for this name. Most hate it. So who picked it? A bunch of whimsical hairdressers and dysfunctional choreographers? Didn’t we learn anything from the Peoria Prancers? We don’t want cute. We don’t want creative. Don’t you wizards on the selection committee realize that baseball is loved by those who would name a team something like, oh say Falcons?
I've got an original name! Falcons! Any other team using that?
I just can’t see a team winning very many games with a name like Wizards hanging over it. I would imagine the attendance figures would be low unless a change is made soon. Please consider our children and think seriously of that change for the good of all.
Letter to the editor tip #1: Bring up 'consider the children' in your letter. That sways everyone to your side.
First of all, for those of you who chose this name, it represents a man or woman who puts his trust in evil spirits to gain knowledge and supernatural powers.

God tells us in the Bible, Deuteronomy 18:10-12, that this practice is an abomination to Him and is absolutely forbidden.

Last, it makes me sick to think our children and adults will be wearing T-shirts or hats representing the Wizards of Fort Wayne with a picture of a man worshiping a ball. This is a blatant message that we are tolerating or practicing spiritism in a fun way.
Letter to the editor tip #2: Bring up Bible verses. That sways everyone to your side.

Just head over there and read it all.

No comments:

Site Meter