7/28/2009

A first-hand account

This has been in my TO BLOG file for the last few days, but I've been a bit busy.

Last Friday's game and Boy Scout Sleepover was a big success...according to a local writer.
The Scouts got a chance to parade on the field between the mascots all-star game and the actual game, so they got to see the finely manicured grass, infield and warning track, plus the visitor and home dugouts and even the players in person. At 14 years old (a fact that blows my mind since I wrote a pre-construction story for Marketplace back in the spring of 1995, when the stadium consisted of mud and construction materials), Fox Cities Stadium is certainly wearing well, which is probably why the state high school spring baseball and NCAA Division III baseball tournaments seem comfortably ensconced there.

The game itself ran long; the Rattlers watched their 4–1 fourth-inning lead evaporate completely by the ninth inning. As extra innings approached, the public address announcer made the announcement that if the game went beyond 10:30 p.m., the regularly scheduled Friday night fireworks could not take place because of Town of Grand Chute ordinances.

As a succession of Rattlers swung for the fences and failed to connect as the digital clock on the scoreboard inched toward 10:30, this ordinance struck me as a one-size-fits-too-much approach. Fox Cities Stadium is not in a residential area (the area's homes are north of U.S. 41 and east of the Wisconsin 15 exit). Fox Cities Stadium is undoubtedly an asset for Grand Chute in particular; I doubt there was any other gathering in the town Friday night with 5,240 people, most of whom had wallets with them. Perhaps the town doesn't want fireworks going off in Plamann Park after 10:30, but complaining about postgame fireworks at Fox Cities Stadium seems to me like complaining about Fox River Mall traffic in the town, or complaining about Lambeau Field's presence.
I will point out that there are some condos and houses behind the strip malls on the west side of Casaloma Drive. I will also point out that I have heard people complain about both Fox River Mall traffic and Lambeau Field's presence.

One other thing that I'll point out. We are good neighbors in a good neighborhood. We have agreed to the curfew as a compromise with Grand Chute and our neighbors. A curfew is better than only being allowed one or two shows per year.

As to the sleepover:
Our tent didn't get up until midnight, but the boys were at least able to watch the movie on the scoreboard, "Bolt," while I wondered if, in the heat and rain and packed-to-capacity tent, I would get any sleep. My sons report that I was asleep before the end of "Bolt"; I would report that while the aforementioned factors and trying to sleep next to U.S. 41 didn't wake me up, the sunrise in your face is an excellent alarm clock.

The campout is the second annual for the Timber Rattlers. I would say the T-Rats made at least a few hundred more fans Friday night.
We certainly hope so.

No comments:

Site Meter