6/20/2008

Makes you think (UPDATED)

I probably shouldn't write this with a whole half of road trips ahead, but bus accidents have always been in the back of my mind.

I was in Duluth the year of the 50th anniversary of a horrible 1948 bus crash involving the Duluth Dukes, a Northern League team. That gives me pause every time I get on a bus.

So, I think everyone involved is glad that this one wasn't nearly as bad.
Members of the Kane County Cougars and Beloit Snappers were on a charter bus that rear-ended a semi truck in a construction zone, snarling US-131 traffic but causing no injuries.

The baseball team members were returning from Midland, where the Midwest League All-Star Game was played Tuesday night. They were on the bus that did not slow down when the semi truck did.
The Cougars and Snappers share a charter company. My guess is that is the reason for the two teams traveling together.

I didn't see anything else on it. But, will post if there is anything.

UPDATE: Here is the Grand Rapids Press story. Erik VanDyck, the media relations director for the Snappers, was on the bus.
"The bus driver slammed on the breaks real quick, everything shifted forward and we heard a loud bang," he said. "The windshield was cracked but everybody was fine, nobody was hurt. It was just a crunch."

About 40 people were on the bus, which was traveling about 15 mph, VanDyck said.

No comments:

Site Meter