5/12/2008

This has bugged me for 20 years....

The trip home from Great Lakes included, as usual, some movies. Major League was popped into the DVD player.

Okay, they get to the final game against the Yankees.

Forget the fact that the Yankees should have walked Taylor to bring up Dorn with the potential for an inning ending double play that would have sent the game into extra innings. That's just dramatic license and I'll let that slide.

No, what's bugging me is Taylor coming up in the ninth inning correct?

The Indians order in that final game would have been:

Hayes (CF)
Taylor (C)
Dorn (3B)
Cerrano (RF)
Jones (LF)
Smith (2B)
Williams (DH)
Mehring (1B)
Almost (SS)

Harris (SP)

I can't recall off the top of my head 5-9 batters in the Indian lineup. So, I made up some names.

In the bottom of the seventh, Taylor makes the second out of the inning, with the Tribe trailing 2-0. Dorn gets his basehit and Cerrano follows with his homer. Here it is in Spanish:



Now, let's assume that Jones makes the final out of the seventh.

Almost has to lead off the bottom of the ninth inning. So, Smith and Williams would make the first two outs and Mehring (of course) would make the last out -- preferably at flailing away at a particularly nasty changeup to have the Indians go down in order in the bottom of the eighth.

Almost -- I know his name is said, but I can't recall it now so he gets the name Almost because he -- almost hits the game winning homer to lead off the bottom of the ninth but is out on a spectacular catch in the right field corner. That leaves Hayes to get the infield single, steal second and score on the following play by Taylor..



I guess it works, but I need to get this straight in my head. Maybe the whole game needs to be reconstructed. Looks like I need to go to the videotape. Stay tuned.

I've been meaning to puzzle out if the end of The Natural makes baseball sense as far as the order goes, too.

3 comments:

THE KID said...

And they tell me i need therapy... (i refuse to put a smiley face here so you'll just have to pretend there is one and/or just know i'm as sick as you are...)

To your post, it's really a moot point, the Indians wouldn't have been in that dilemma had Gentry not gotten red carded in spring training!!!

Chris said...

This is my therapy.

THE KID said...

Amen Brother...

Site Meter