7/28/2008

Next stop...Beijing

Kuo Hui Lo is heading to the Olympics
Kuo Hui Lo came out of the High Desert Mavericks dugout and raised his arms to respond to the cheering crowd, only to slip back in after a couple of seconds.

Urged on by his teammates, the 22-year-old center fielder went back out and waved his arms with a bashful smile on his face.

“I don’t like it,” Lo said. “It was my first time my name was called out like that in front of fans. I was a little bit shy I think.”

The Stater Bros. Stadium crowd was cheering for Lo after it was announced during Thursday’s game that Lo will be heading to the Beijing Olympics as a member of the Taiwanese national team. He leaves the High Desert for Taiwan tonight and won’t come back to the U.S. until Aug. 27.

Here's a quick story from Lo's roommate:

“I lived with him in Wisconsin in ’06 and he’s light years ahead of where he used to be,” Minaker said. “So we’ll play some video games and talk some trash back and forth. His communication skills are markedly better. He cooks at the apartment a lot. He’s very self-sufficient in that regard. He’ll make some noodle dishes and rice things and always offers them to us. I’ve actually never accepted the invitation.

“I trust him as a hitter, not as a cook.”

Good luck, Lo.

No comments:

Site Meter