5/04/2006

Wednesday in the Midwest League

All of the teams were off in the Midwest League yesterday. And most of the beat writer were, too.

If you go in alphabetical order (by city), the first paper with a feature story is the Peoria Journal-Star. And they should have one, too. Did you hear that KERRY WOOD is starting at O'Brien Field on Sunday?

What does a rehab assignment by a major leaguer mean to the Chiefs? Look at last year's numbers:


Last season, two rehab games by then-Cubs shortstop Nomar Garciaparra drew franchise-record crowds of 9,692 and 9,004. Wood's one game in Peoria produced a crowd of 8,012, sixth-largest in the 24th-year Midwest League team's history.

"For those three games, we estimated we sold 16,000 tickets we wouldn't have ordinarily sold," Chiefs president Rocky Vonachen said. "You add that up in tickets and concessions and all those things and that's a significant difference."

You can always count on Steve Batterson and the QC TIMES for a story on an off day. This one is about Swing catcher Bryan Anderson getting to participate in the big league camp with the Cardinals and how it helped his game this season.

The invitation caught me by surprise. I got a call about a month before it started asking me to go, and it didn’t take me long to answer. It was a great experience,” Anderson said.

“There I was, less than a year out of high school walking around the same clubhouse with Albert Pujols, Yadier Molina and Tony LaRussa. That was great.”

Anderson made the most of the opportunity.

“Mostly, it was a chance for me to watch how guys worked and how they approached getting ready for the season,” Anderson said. “I had a chance to work a bit with Yadier and the other catchers and learn from them.

“Before I went down to the minor-league camp, a couple of guys showed me some things that are helping me now. It was a great experience.”


And that's the way it was.

No comments:

Site Meter