7/19/2008

With a name like Rebel...

He's got to be good.
Rebel Ridling already knows the first thing you'll ask him.

"You probably want to know where my name comes from," says Ridling, the Peoria Chiefs' new first baseman.

Ridling, a 25th-round pick by the Cubs last month out of Oklahoma State, started his professional career with Boise, where he hit .366 with four home runs and 19 RBIs in just 16 games. Ridling, Luis Flores and Jake Opitz were brought up July 9 from Boise when Josh Donaldson was traded and Marquez Smith and Drew Rundle were promoted to Daytona.

But what about that name?

"All the guys in my family have 'R' names, so we have the 'R.R.' initials," says Ridling, whose father's name is Rusty.
Well, that explains it...huh?

Nothing about how there are too many Ricks or Randys or Ryans? Or how the family were big fans of Star Wars and the Rebel Alliance? Or, something to do with that awesome David Bowie song (Rebel, Rebel) or a somewhat less-than-awesome Billy Idol song (Rebel Yell)?

Color me disappointed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I happen to like the song "Rebel Yell". I'm going to listen to it "more, more, more".

Chris said...

Thank you for your opinion. However, I stand by my statement.

Site Meter