8/08/2007

An excerpt

As I ran in toward home, Ralph Garr grabbed my leg and tried to plant it on the plate, screaming, "Touch it, Supe! Just touch it!" As soon as I did, Ralph and Darrell and Eddie and everybody mobbed me. Somehow, my mother managed to make it through and put a bear hug on me. Good Lord, I didn't know Mama was that strong; I thought she was going to squeeze the life out of me. About that time, Tom House, a younf relief pitcher, came sprinting in with the ball. He had caught it in the bullpen and he wasn't about to give it up to anybody but me. When he got to me, he stuck it in my hand and said, "Hammer, here it is!" Then, they stopped the game for a little ceremony, and I stepped up to the microphone and said exactly what I felt: "Thank God it's over."

From, I Had a Hammer

No comments:

Site Meter