8/04/2007

From the Mariner Notebook

Don't know if you've seen this story with these Carlos Guillen comments about the Adam Jones call up.

"I guess they have something to do, but this is a totally different league," Guillen said. "I understand he's a good prospect and if they think he's ready, then hey, we'll see. He's going to have to come here and prove that to us.

"Because this team has been good with what we have and I don't think that's what we need. ... I just completely don't understand that move right there."


Here are today's comments after the 2-for-4 '07 debut by Jones:

I'll tell him it's nothing personal," Guillen said. "Hey, I'll help him out if he needs my help. He's a good kid. But it doesn't change how I feel about it."

Jones got the start in left field Friday, having been officially added to the roster earlier in the day. Fourth outfielder Jason Ellison, a popular player among veteran Mariners and throughout the clubhouse, was designated for assignment.

"I can't control that side of the game," Jones told reporters when asked about Guillen and how his arrival could impact clubhouse chemistry. "All I can control is what I do on the field. I'm not going to say anything about anybody. I'm just going to go out and play."

Lower down at that link is this item on Eric O'Flaherty and his 7-0 start this season:

O'Flaherty couldn't help but laugh when he discussed his two-pitch outing Wednesday night that resulted in win No. 7 for him this season. That's a Mariners record to start a career and one more victory than Horacio Ramirez, the Mariners' starter, took into the game Friday.

O'Flaherty's propensity for picking up victories is becoming somewhat of a clubhouse joke.

But O'Flaherty says it's a tribute to the ability of Seattle's offense to come through with late runs.

No comments:

Site Meter