1/24/2010

Pineiro in LA

From The Fabulous Forum blog at the LA Times there is this bit about former Timber Rattlers pitcher Joel Pineiro ('98).

Pineiro trusts in his sinker, and in the Angels

Joel Pineiro's career statistics could make fans wonder whether the Angels paid for a career year. The Angels completed their rotation by signing Pineiro for two years and $16 million, after a season in which he went 15-12 for the St. Louis Cardinals, pitching a career-high 214 innings with a 3.49 earned-run average.

His ERAs in the previous five seasons: 5.15, 4.33, 6.36, 5.62, 4.67.

Pineiro believes he can repeat his success, thanks to a simple request from St. Louis pitching coach Dave Duncan last spring.

"The only big difference is, I throw my sinker most of the time," Pineiro said. "I throw my sinker 95% of the time and I get early-count outs. Everybody knows I'm not going to go out there and strike out 300 people.

"Duncan has all his guys throwing sinkers. He just said, 'I want you to trust it and throw it.' "

No comments:

Site Meter