9/25/2008

Bless you, RRS

Ryan Rowland-Smith ('02, '03) was one of the more interesting characters in my first few years with the Timber Rattlers.

Example, his Australian accent was noticeable but never really thick. Until we were in Fort Wayne and he really broke out the Down Under speak during dinner at an Outback Steakhouse. Not sure if he was trying to impress the waitress or get a free meal, but it was funny.

I may have mentioned his blog in the past. The below-mentioned Geoff Baker, mentions it today and points out this post...
Hi Friends,

Sorry I have taken way too long to write another blog. I didn’t have my computer on the long road trip. Yes, very long 0-12. No fun whatsoever, trust me. Plus, I want to make it worth reading and hopefully shed some light on this very dark season in Seattle.
There are a few of his ideas for how to make 2009 better. Sign Raul Ibanez...Healthy Adrian Beltre...Let the kids play...
In my last blog I mention there was a youth revolution on its way. Well, we have some young guys who can seriously make an impact, I just hope we all get our chances next year, and there is some trust in our abilities– not just getting our feet wet, I mean letting us pitch through a jam to show that we can get through it. Or, not getting pinch hit late in the game. There are some kids with a big point to prove in their careers, including myself, so I just hope they don’t freak out in the off season and feel like they have to sign older guy. And by the way, don’t forget, our ace next year is 23 opening day!
That would be Felix Hernandez ('03)...I don't think RRS is 23.

Back to the post....Leadership...Don't Panic....Keep on Grinding...
As cheesy as it sounds, I want to see the rotation fight to stay in the game with 110 pitches, the hitters run every fly ball out hard. Sac guys over, the bullpen pick each other up and have 25 guys play with some heart. Stop feeling sorry for ourselves, making excuses, and keep grinding through the sh*tty times.

There is a lot to look forward to next year, a lot of great pieces in this organization, some fun guys to watch I promise we will put up a fight no matter what negativity you read. If I am wrong you can boo me every time I take the field.
I don't see the money quote to which Baker refers in his post about the RRS post. The title of Baker's post...Ryan Rowland-Smith: Mariners should "grow some balls!'' Balls is an Australian slang term for...well, I'm not sure what it's slang for in Australia. But, the sentiment is clear.

No comments:

Site Meter