9/25/2008

On to the Hall

Ex-Rattler pitching coach Scott Budner ('01) is being honored by his alma mater.

Budner, Nichols, Walker Noniewicz Headed To ECSU Hall Of Fame
Local products to be enshrined Nov. 2
Budner, a left-handed pitcher with a deceptive pickoff move, had a 15-3 record with four saves and a 1.83 ERA in his career from 1975-77. As a junior, he threw a no-hitter and led Division III in strikeouts and strikeouts per game while earning All-American second-team honors. He's still ranked second all-time in NCAA Division III history in hits allowed per nine innings (4.79) in his career.

”I did OK,” Budner said. “I was meaner than everybody else, that's the only way I got by. I don't like to lose too much. I just outcompeted them. (Eastern coach) Bill Holowaty gave me a great opportunity there.”

A sixth-round draft choice of the San Francisco Giants, Budner played minor league baseball before entering coaching. For the last nine years, he's been a minor league pitching coach for the Seattle Mariner organization, including the last two seasons working for the Class-AA West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx.

Budner grew up in Ledyard, moved to Groton where he spent his last two years of high school at Fitch, and his family moved to East Lyme during his ECSU days.

During his trip here, he plans on playing golf at Shennecossett Golf Course in Groton and touring New England. No doubt his induction will be the highlight.

”It's nice to know after all these years that they haven't forgotten about you,” said Budner, who lives in southern California in the offseason.
I was going to say that this looks nothing like the Scott Budner that I knew. Then, I realized. He's actually smiling. What's up with that?

No comments:

Site Meter