9/20/2009

And how did you spend your Saturday afternoon?

Mariners infielder Matt Tuiasosopo living the dream this afternoon
What could be better than getting to watch the Washington Huskies beat the USC Trojans live ay Husky Stadium? Well, getting to leave at halftime because you're starting at second base tonight against C.C. Sabathia and the New York Yankees.

I spoke to Mariners Class AAA call-up Matt Tuiasosopo after today's thrilling 16-13 win by Washington. Remember, his brother is a quarterbacks coach for U-Dub while Matt was recruited to be a Washington QB. Tuiasosopo told me he attended the first half of the game and then had to leave to come here to Safeco Field.

"I could tell by the way we were playing and hanging around that if we could keep hanging around we might pull it off,'' he said. "Being there was great. It was just a great atmosphere.''

Too bad he couldn't stay. Normally, that would be a big deal -- missing such a huge finale.

"Nah, I'd much rather be here, believe me,'' he said. "Starting against Sabathia and the Yankees, that's a pretty big deal.''
Here's the game story from Geoff Baker
Having to leave Husky Stadium at halftime of this city's biggest college-football game in years would normally mean something to fret about.

But not for Matt Tuiasosopo, who abandoned the Washington-USC game in order to make it to Safeco Field in time to play for the Mariners. Tuiasosopo even got to show off his athleticism in a rare start at second base, giving his team plenty to consider this winter despite a forgettable 10-1 loss at the hands of the New York Yankees before 43,173.

"I'm just able to see the ball off the bat," said Tuiasosopo, who shifted from third base to second for a month at Class AAA before being called up last weekend. "I think playing at third and having to see the ball off the bat much quicker over there helps me adjust to it easier at second."

Tuiasosopo's day might have been an all-around success had the Mariners not been buried for seven strong innings by Yankees starter C.C. Sabathia. The lefty gave up just an unearned run and received plenty of run support from a squad that chased Doug Fister with six runs in four-plus innings.
And if someone comments before the president of the local chapter of the Tui for Pres chapter gets in here, I'll be amazed.

1 comment:

THE KID said...

Sorry, i've got to do a better job of keeping up with the blog on football weekends. But now that i'm at work, of course i have time to comment...

Funny, a friend accompanied me to BW's to watch my Vols put up a good effort against the mighty (& hated) Gators and there was one guy in there that was very hyped about the USC-UW game.

I'd never seen him before (i.e. he doesn't go there much) and not really paying attention to that game i'd just assumed he was a USC fan. I mean, who's a Huskie fan?

But he was a Huskie fan and was getting ever excited as the game went on. I didn't care either way, but you couldn't help get excited for this guy. It was his BCS game.

Anyway, I turned to my buddy and said there's a connection between the Rattlers and the Huskies.

Former Rattler Lawrie's sister played softball at UW with Tui's little sister and I knew Tui had a scholarship offer from UW.

Small world at BW's on a Saturday afternoon. But if you try hard enough, you can work Tui into it.

Site Meter