11/07/2009

Whitecaps about to seen an uptick in mail...

...from radio announcers.
One and done.

Steve Lloyd-Jones, the radio voice of the West Michigan Whitecaps who worked his first season in 2009, decided not to renew a contract with the Detroit Tigers' Class A minor league affiliate after the two parties failed to reach an agreement on his on-air schedule for 2010.

One of the radio voices for sports at Grand Valley State University, Lloyd-Jones, 36, has three children younger than 5 and cited family as his reason for leaving the job.

The Whitecaps play a 140-game regular-season schedule, 70 games on the road. It's not uncommon in minor league baseball to be on the road for a week or more.

"Based on my family needs, my career needs to take a back seat right now. I have very young kids and they need their dad," Lloyd-Jones said. "I underestimated the toll of being gone on my kids, and we couldn't reach a compromise on a more family friendly schedule and my needs and their needs as an organization.

"Working with the Whitecaps was great. They are a Triple A organization in every way, and I'm going to miss calling baseball games and the Whitecaps people. Whoever comes in will have a great opportunity, but I won't have any regrets because of my decision."
Was the 'One and done.' lede really necessary? Especially since Steve worked with Rick Berkey for a summer or two before Dave Skoczen's run in west Michigan.

I don't understand a word he is saying in that fifth paragraph.

Seriously though...Good luck, Steve.

No comments:

Site Meter