1/24/2009

Guest blogger (1/24)

I used to be known as known as fireworks, but now....

Lo, I am become Death, Destroyer of worlds.

Don't believe me. Then, just read this article from the Kane County Chronicle.
For years, the Kane County Cougars have entertained fans with postgame fireworks.

But a neighbor to Elfstrom Stadium, where the Cougars play, says 30 shows a season releases too many particles in the air and poses a health risk. The stadium is owned by the Kane County Forest Preserve.

Dr. Rodney Nelson, who has been campaigning against the fireworks for about 15 years, said a new study from the New England Journal of Medicine backs up his position. The ecological study, published this week, found that fine-particle air pollution lowers life expectancy.

The researchers found that concentrations of fine particulate matter – equivalent to one-twentieth of the width of a human hair – can travel deep into the lungs and has been linked to the worsening of asthma and heart disease.

Fireworks, Nelson said, can release fine particles into the ambient air, affecting Geneva residents in neighborhoods near the stadium.

“One exposure can be lethal,” Nelson said. “Once again, the Kane County Forest Preserve will threaten my health and the health of my neighbors by creating ... fine particle pollution at least 26 times and four nights in a row at least twice.
It's science!

The good doctor is willing to be reasonable, though!
He said he would accept the risk posed by one exposure due to Fourth of July celebrations, but not from 30 pyrotechnics shows in a season.

“I’m willing to bend once a year. I’m not that radical,” he said.
I know. I know. about three or four paragraphs up in the story there was this:
“One exposure can be lethal,” Nelson said.
I bolded that and -- for good measure -- italicized it, too.

Frankly, as the new Destroyer of Worlds, I am glad that sentence wasn't printed like this

"ONE EXPOSURE CAN BE LETHAL!!!1!1!! ZOMG!!!!!!"

I really need to sneak up on people if I want to take over for bubonic plague and ebola.

Maybe I should worry, because the government is there...ready to help:
Mayor Kevin Burns said officials will listen to Nelson – as they would to any resident’s concerns – and act if necessary.

“We admire Dr. Nelson’s passion and persistence,” Burns said. “And we encourage him to also share his thoughts with state officials and lawmakers who have regulatory authority to address this matter.”

Second Ward Alderman William Barclay said he would open Nelson’s concerns for discussion at a future city council meeting.

“I love fireworks as much as anybody else,” Barclay said. “I celebrate the Fourth of July and watch fireworks at Cougar stadium. I’d hate to not them have [fireworks] at a game. I think he has some legitimate health concerns. He presents some valid arguments why that is unheathy.”
The bureaucrats are there, too! Now, I'm really scared!
Illinois Environmental Protection Agency spokeswoman Maggie Carson said Nelson raises interesting concerns. The IEPA already has a device to measure ambient air pollution, based in Elgin.

She said it is not likely the agency would put a monitoring device near the stadium to measure particulate matter from fireworks.

“What the Illinois EPA does is look at broader trends,” Carson said. “If there was an industrial park with a lot of pollution we might put a monitoring device there. But we would not measure a spike an hour after fireworks. We would not look at short-term issues, but those of a lifetime.”

Carson suggested that people with respiratory issues should close their windows when fireworks are used.

“If you have a lung ailment, it’s in your best interest to avoid any concentrated air pollution,” she said.
Close their windows?!?! Curses, foiled again!

I forgot to mention the title of the article from the Kane County Chronicle....I may be the new Destroyer of Worlds...But, I'm not evil!

Fireworks shows bug Geneva doctor

75 dies insquequo Oris Dies

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice article upon pollution issue..... i had found more information about basic of pollution issue but this is not sufficient. If you know more please explain.

Site Meter