2/24/2009

He's gonna pitch

Phillippe Aumont ('08) will pitch for Canada in the World Baseball Classic.
Right-hander Phillippe Aumont, who decided several weeks ago that his arm would not be strong enough to pitch for Team Canada in a starting role, has changed his mind and will join the team as a reliever.

Thought not invited to big-league camp, he has been working out at the Peoria Sports Complex since early January.

"First of all, (Team Canada) asked me to go as a starting pitcher and I said 'I can't do that,'" he said Monday morning. "The Mariners didn't want me to go as a starter either because it could mean pitching four or five innings.

"I was kind of sad when I couldn't go [to the Classic]. But after I got here and started throwing some bullpens, my arm felt really good and I thought that I might be able to go there as a reliever."

Aumont, 20, called his agent, who contacted Mariners and Team Canada officials, and everyone decided that an inning or two of relief should not tax his arm all that much and permission was granted.
What is one of Aumont's dreams? I'll let him tell you.
"I don't know how they plan to use me," he said, "but one of my dreams is to pitch against (Team USA)."

No comments:

Site Meter