10/17/2007

169 Days to Opening Day 2008

Opening Day 2008 is April 3. That is 169 days from today.

This off-season, the countdown will be based on books. Each day between now and Opening Day 2008, I will pick a random book out of my library and excerpt a passage off the page number corresponding with the number of days remaining to the first pitch of the new season. I will try not to repeat a book during the countdown.

Today’s book is Tom Clancy’s Red Storm Rising. This is not a Jack Ryan adventure. It is Clancy’s novel about World War III. The Soviets and Warsaw Pact nations attack NATO and it is on.

The excerpt is from page 169 as the Supreme Allied Commander (Europe) meets with his staff to figure out what to do about the Soviet threat and a team of Spetznaz agents in West Germany.

Intelligence officers from most of the NATO countries were part of the surveillance team, each with a direct line to his government. “What if they’re bait, trying to get us to strike first?”

“I know we can’t do that, General. What I want is a green light to initiate Dreamland when we know it’s all for-real. We have to get our licks in fast, boss.”

SACEUR leaned back. Trapped by his duties in his underground command post, he hadn’t been to his official residence in ten days. He wondered if any general officer in the whole world had gotten any sleep in the past two weeks.

“If you put the orders up, how fast can you react?”

“I have all the birds loaded and ready now. My crews are briefed. If I order them to stand to, I can have Dreamland running thirty minutes from your signal.”

“Okay, Charlie. The President has given me authority to react to any attack. Tell your people to stand to.”

“Right.”

SACEUR’s phone rang. He lifted it, listened briefly, and looked up. “Our visitors are moving,” he told COMAIRCENT. To his operations officer, “The code word is Firelight.” NATO forces would go to maximum alert.


Place today's excerpt in a baseball context.


No comments:

Site Meter