7/25/2008

Cleansing the Palate

Here is a story from USA Today on ex-Appleton Fox Goose Gossage. He's going to be a little busy this weekend.
As a kid, Rich Gossage's dreams never matched those of his father.

"My dad always said, 'You're going to play in the big leagues some day,' " Gossage recalled. "I pooh-poohed that. I would be like, 'Aw, dad, please don't say that.' And sure enough, here I am."

Gossage did more than just play in the major leagues. He became a dominant relief pitcher in a 22-year career that will receive its finishing touch on Sunday when he is inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

For Gossage, a shy, humble guy from the Rocky Mountains, what has transpired since those talks with his dad, Jake, is simply mind-boggling.

"I can't even really comprehend my career," said Gossage, elected in January on his ninth try. "Really, I just can't believe that a kid from Colorado, just a big fan of the game - it's totally overwhelming being elected to the Hall and to have had the career that I had."

No comments:

Site Meter