12/22/2006

Back to regular programming

BaseballAmerica.com had their organizational reports up yesterday for subscribers only. The feature story about the Mariners system is about Joe Woerman (WI '06).

Woes Left Behind

SEATTLE--After three years in the Mariners organization and still stuck at short-season Everett after the 2005 season, righthander Joe Woerman had a very pointed self-evaluation.

"It was really a reality check for me," said Woerman, an 11th-round pick in 2003. "I realized I needed to improve if I didn't want to lose my job. I saw a sports psychologist, and I just worked hard. It's not that I wasn't working hard before, but I became more focused."


Woerman focused his way to a long scoreless streak with the Rattlers and an eventual promotion to the California League.

Woerman's work at Wisconsin earned him a promotion to high Class A Inland Empire, where he was 2-0, 2.67 with 31 strikeouts and 15 walks in 30 innings.

"I had to make a few adjustments," he said. "The same pitches that were working (in Wisconsin) were getting hit."

Now Woerman hopes to make another jump next season, to at least Double-A West Tenn, which would get him closer to his dream of playing for the team he has rooted for since childhood.


Woerman was born in Edmonds, Washington, moved around a bit, and came back to the Puget Sound area in his youth.
"My dad was in the military so we moved around some," he said. "It was during those years when I was back in Washington that I started to follow baseball, and the Mariners were my team."

There is also a bit in there about his time in Hawaii Winter Baseball.

No comments:

Site Meter