6/06/2006

The More Important D-Day






From Encyclopedia Britannica.com





I wish I could find better pictures. They deserve better pictures.

Today is the 62nd anniversary of D-Day. The liberation of Europe began in the early morning of June 6, 1944.

My dream vacation is to walk Omaha, Utah, Sword, Juno, and Gold beaches in Normandy. I want to walk them and try to understand the courage that it took to do what they did and to honor their sacrifices.

Today, all I can do is go to the websites for the National D-Day Memorial and the National D-Day Museum and ask you to go there, too.

After the game, I will probably go home to watch parts of three movies: The Longest Day, Saving Private Ryan, and Midway.

Why Midway? That crucial battle in the Pacific Ocean happened from June 4-7, 1942. This is the 64th annivesary of that clash between the Imperial Japanese Navy and the US Navy.

The actions of the men during the invasion of Europe and the push to Japan have allowed me to do whatever it is that I do.

I thank them all for that.

No comments:

Site Meter