5/31/2008

Baek and the Padres

Cha Seung Baek ('00) gets a write-up on the website of his new team.

Baek appreciates shot with Padres
Versatile right-hander acquired via trade with Mariners

Baek, who will celebrate his 28th birthday on Thursday, got an early present Tuesday night when he was traded from the Mariners to the Padres in exchange for 26-year-old reliever Jared Wells.

"He's solid," Padres manager Bud Black said of Baek. "I saw him when I was with the Angels. He threw some good games against us. I felt as though when he pitched, he had a strong idea of what he wanted to do. He had a four-pitch mix -- fastball, slider, curve and change. ... He's been a strike-thrower in his career with a good delivery, [and he's] fundamentally very sound as a pitcher.
"I think, with his history, he's primarily been a starter," Black said. "But he has the ability to pitch in the bullpen. I think this allows us a little more depth in the rotation, with a guy who has Major League experience as a starter."
What does Baek say?
"I am grateful that a team has given me another chance," said Baek. "I just hope to do my best and help the team.

"I have been a starter most of my career, but this year I've been used in long relief. I'm comfortable as a starter, but I have learned a lot about relieving. Wherever they need me, I'll pitch."
Sounds good to me.

No comments:

Site Meter