5/27/2008

Midwest League Action (Game of 5/26)

May 26 scoreboard.

@Peoria 5, Wisconsin 2: Chiefs earn an off-day.

Dayton 6, @West Michigan 0: Shhhhhhhhh.

Quad Cities 9, @Kane County 5: Cougars lack steam?

Burlington 12, @Beloit 8: Pohlman Field Slugfest.

Clinton 7, @Cedar Rapids 2: Monsters of the Midwest League? Kernels need the break.

Great Lakes 5, @Fort Wayne 3: Cue Night Gallery Opening.

Trailing by two in the seventh inning, the Wizards’ Drew Cumberland lined a single to right. Luis Martinez tried to advance from first to third on the play, but Alfredo Silverio’s throw beat him to bag. As Pedro Baez applied the tag, the ball appeared to come loose. After initially signaling safe, the umpire ruled him out.

“I knew the ball was coming so I dove and I dove right into the third baseman,” Martinez said. “When I got up and looked, there’s a ball (on the ground). I thought I was safe and he still called me out. I asked ‘what’s going on?’ ”

What happened was a second ball fell out of home plate umpire Jared Gary’s bag as he raced over to make a ruling on the play. Baez had the live ball all along.

Thinking the ball on the ground was the one in play, Cumberland took off for second. Baez took the live ball out of his glove, wheeled around and fired to second, cutting down Cumberland to end the inning.

South Bend 6, @Lansing 5: Lugs have their win streak snapped at seven.

No comments:

Site Meter